For the past couple days I’ve been obsessing over how to handle variable jump height in my platformers. I’ve been making platformers for a long time, and I don’t think I’ve been getting it very wrong, but I was never satisfied that it was the best it could be.
Super Meat Boy came out just a few days ago and the running and jumping in it feels great. So what I did is take some video of me jumping in it and measure how Meat Boy moves to see what I could learn. Yeah that was tedious, but I like having the graph. I am such a nerd.
The results were a couple of things that I probably should have already known.
It turns out that the way I’ve been doing it is very close to the way Super Meat Boy does it. Parabolas just feel right (and are physically accurate).
I also added a Meat Boy-style option to that jumping controls tester I made yesterday.